Wooden Playhouse

An outdoor wooden playhouse with 2 stories and a balcony

Building a wooden playhouse for my children has been a dream of mine since before I had any children 😊. For a long time I couldn't do it, because I didn't have the equipment nor the time, but then Covid came along, and I started working from home, and finally I had the opportunity to do it.

It took me about a month to complete, and the kids loved the whole process. When it was finished, it was featured on Ynet and on a Paula & Leon (channel 12)


I designed the house using SketchUp (web). The original design didn't have the balcony and the steps, which I decided to add later.

Here's the 3D model (available through SketchUp's 3D Warehouse):

Preparing the kids for a hard day's work

Safety first!

Building the base

The base is built with 10x5 (metric) beams. If you look closely at the pictures below, you'll notice that I accidentally used the sidings for the floor (I didn't know what goes where at the time...). So I had to remove and redo everything using 3x15 when I realized that. That was a time consuming mistake, but fortunately I was able to reuse all the material without wasting too much.

Building the frame and walls

The frame was made from 5x5 and 10x5 beams. For the walls I used tongue & groove sidings, and at this point I made another mistake - I attached them with the tongue facing down instead of up (which could cause water to build up along the joints). Again, I had to redo an entire wall...

Building the roof

I chose a steep angle for the roof, because the steeper the angle - the longer the roof lasts. On top of the refters I attached wall sidings (with the nice side pointing in), and then placed shingles on top of the sidings to make it water proof.

I struggled a bit with cutting the sidings for the dormer window, but the singles covered everything.

Building the windows

I made the windows from 2x5 beams and 4mm acrylic sheet. I sealed everything with acrylic caulk to make it water proof.

Building the steps and second floor

Building the balcony

The balcony was a late addition. I used two 7x7 beams to hold it, and dipped the bottom of the beams in tar to protect it from the wet ground during the winter.

Spread the awesomeness with your pals!

A newsletter for front-end web developers

Stay up-to-date with my latest articles, experiments, tools, and much more!

Issued monthly (or so). No spam. Unsubscribe any time.